Monday, August 12, 2013

Cabins and Cousins

The last week-and-a-half has seen us up and back and up and back to my parent's cabin in the Uintahs.  Each time we were lucky enough to go with family.

The first time we went with M's family - all the siblings came, even his youngest brother drove up from California.  It was so fun to see everyone and get all together, and of course Jay loved being with his cousins.  They swung on swings, went searching for sticks, spotted a ton of deer, hiked to the beaver pond, and caught some pretty big fish with the uncles.  

Because M's sister follows a restrictive diet, I volunteered to make all the treats.  Although this was not so great for my continued efforts to lose the last of that baby weight, Curious George thought it was pretty awesome.  He would stand below these cookies and try to reach up and grab them.

Jay and his cousin swinging.

Jay and his uncle fishing at Butterfly Lake.  We actually caught quite a few fish!  I even caught my first fish ever, but I lost it before I could get it out of the water.

Jay, Curious George, M's youngest brother, and 2 of the cousins showing us what all those deer looked like. 

The second time we headed up it was for a "girl's week" at the cabin.  It sounds more glamorous than it really was because we all brought our kids.   And yes, I didn't shower for 3 days but with all the smelly boys in that cabin no one even noticed :)  Jay, once again, loved being with his cousins.  They disappeared outside to explore teepees, have wheelbarrow pulls, ride the four-wheelers, make bows-and-arrows, and who knows what else.  Well, we do know what else because ever since the trip James has refused to sit down to use the bathroom.  He has to stand up now, "just like outside at the cabin!" He has been so excited about his new skill, that I am not even complaining (yet!) about having to start daily bathroom cleaning duty.  Somehow, we all survived the crazy 3 days, 2 nights with 12 kids ages 10 and under.  We missed Maggie & the Shippens - for sure next year!

 The whole gang minus the newborn

Curious George conked on our short hike. 

Jay 4-wheeling.  He was pretty nervous at the start but ended up loving it. 

The dirty three.  I don't know if you can see these guys faces, but they are so dirty.  I have no idea what they were doing that made their faces so dirty, and I am not sure I really want to know.  



1 comment: